- This event has passed.
Wikimedia as an Open Educational Resource
27th April 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Open Educational Resources (OER) are a freely available resources that have been specifically licensed for re-use. Wikipedia and its sister projects operate on a copyleft principle, where content on the encyclopaedia must be available for re-use and re-share. This means that most of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia project content are available for use in learning and teaching as OER.
In this session we will look at how content is created, shared, and maintained on Wikipedia, Wiki Data, Wikimedia Commons, and Wiki Books.
- Introduce using the Visual Editor to create and edit articles on Wikipedia.
- Identify openly licensed images, artwork, sound, and video on Wikimedia Commons.
- Look at how to add content to Wikimedia Commons.
- Look at Wiki Books content creation, verification, and community maintenance.
- Use the Citation Hunt tool to improve Wikipedia content
- Play the WikiData game.
- Look at Histropedia timelines
Who should attend?
Absolutely anyone can use Wikimedia for something, so people of all disciplines and walks of life are encouraged to attend this session. Basic knowledge of using the internet will be needed to get involved in the practical activity, but there are no other pre-requisites.
Before attending please ensure that you have created a Wikipedia account.
Bookings via MyEd: http://edin.ac/2oPHVp1