Excelling in Excel
A short series of three video tutorials aimed at up-skilling distance learning students on how to make the best use of Excel.
Excelling in Excel: Data Organisation
This video covers Broman & Woo’s principles of organising data in spreadsheets.
- Tidy data principles
- Overview of Broman & Woo’s principles
- Consistency, naming and date formats
- Naming examples
- Data entry, missing data, and formula
- Data validation, machine readable and backups
- Test yourself, what problems do you see with this data?
- Tidy data along with me
Excelling in Excel: Tips and Tricks
This video covers some of Excel’s capabilities including formulas and pivot tables.
- What are excel’s capabilities?
- Types of data
- Types of cell content
- Watch me work with formulas
- What are pivot tables
- Watch me work with pivot tables
Watch ‘Excelling in Excel: Tips and Tricks’ directly on Media Hopper Create
Excelling in Excel: Data Visualisation
This video covers how to create charts in Excel.
- Difference between figures, charts and infographics
- What makes a good chart?
- Aspects of good chart
- Aspects of bad charts
- When should I use bar charts?
- When should I use scatter plots?
- Examples of very bad charts
- Make a chart in excel with me
- Make a bar chart in excel – more complicated charts
- Colour in charts
- Chart doctor links: How to navigate data’s pink and blue problem