Hortus Sanitatis: Latin natural history encyclopaedia
This is a digitisation of a 1497 publication of the Hortus Sanitatis, a Latin natural history encyclopaedia in the Centre for Research Collections at The University of Edinburgh. This digitisation is available on a CC BY 3.0 licence.
- De herbis [et] plantis / Herbs and Plants
- De Animalibus [et] reptilibus / Land animals and reptiles
- De Auibus [et] volatilibus / Birds and airworthy animals
- De Piscibus [et] natatilibus / aquatic animals
- De Lapidibus [et] in terre venis nasce[n]tibus / Semi-precious stones, ore and minerals
- De Urinis [et] earum speciebus / Uroscopy
- Tabula medicinalis Cum directorio generali per omnes tractatusv / Several detailed registers
Notes on this particular edition:
- Many of the illustrations are named in English in a late 15th or early 16th century hand (StEdU : CRC Inc.F.9)
- “Bibliotheca Edinburgena dedit Alexr Hay de Lethom 1699” in manuscript on title page (StEdU : CRC Inc.F.9)
- The illustrations in De herbis are hand coloured (StEdU : CRC Inc.F.9)
- Four leaves tipped in at end. All have early 16th century hand drawn and coloured illustrations on recto (StEdU : CRC Inc.F.9)
The digitisation of this book was created by The University of Edinburgh Library staff and is available under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 licence.
Header Image: Woodcut illustration from Hortus sanitatis, Fol.233 verso, The University of Edinburgh Library, CC BY 3.0